Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Whole Foods Journey---Continued!





Last year I started a whole foods journey for my family.  I was buying more raw foods and less processed foods.  Then life happened and I hit rock bottom with my depression and stopped trying to improve our diets.  It was all I could do to make it to work and come home and function. I didn’t care about improving my diet—quite frankly I didn’t care if I lived or died-so our diet was no big thing to me at that time.  Well, after living under a black cloud, the sun has started to shine in my life. A med change helped bring that about…I won’t lie!

So I want to continue my whole foods journey.  I purchased a dehydrator that I have been putting to very good use and have conquered my fear of the pressure canner. With these tools I can easily “Put Up“  many whole foods for convenient future use. 

I plan on only shopping the outer aisles of the Market, using more whole wheat flour, and using up the processed foods in my stash(we cannot afford not to).  I have been making all of our jelly for the last several years and that is one item we have stopped using from the market.  My husband is addicted to his diet Coke so I am going to attempt to make tea and keep it in the frig for him so we can stop buying this. This is going to be a slow process let me tell you!  I have been buying honey from a local farmer and plan on continuing this—in addition I want to phase out using so much white sugar. I want to start substituting honey in my baking.  The muffin recipe I posted yesterday can be adapted to use honey.  I am diabetic so I have to watch my carbs but I feel using natural products in moderation is better than using artificial sweeteners.

So here are my goals for the week:

1.       Only buy fruits, veggies, meat and dairy products at the market.

2.       Plan simpler meals.

3.       Make a pitcher of Tea each night.

4.       Plan one meatless meal.

5.       Find one sale item to can or dry for my stash.

6.       Use honey or sugar in the raw for sweetener only.

Wow, let the WF journey begin……again!

Blessings,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment