Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Last Weeks Savings


 
     Hello, come on in and sit a spell!  Have a glass of tea and make yourself at home!  What were you able to accomplish last week to save money? Well, I had a busy weekend-had two separate cake orders.  One for Saturday-36 cupcakes and a 6 inch Grad cap cake and one for Sunday—2 half sheet cakes.  I was able to take the money and add to my pantry.  Meijer had a 10 for 10 and get the 11th free sale so I stocked up on Tom’s favorite pretzels, spaghetti sauce, and a few more good deals.   I also bought 10 jars of salsa which are regularly $2.39 –on sale for 99 cents! This will do us for the winter!  I wish I had been able to make homemade but I wasn’t able to get my garden planted due to my surgery in May.
   I have been buying beef/soup bones for the last few months to make a pot of beef bone broth. I have it simmering and the house smells amazing.  I will be canning it when I get home from work tonight.  Providing wholesome nutritious food for my family is so fulfilling, don’t you think?
   I found hair barrettes and pony holders at the grocery store marked down to 25 cents from a dollar so I bought some for my Grandbaby and my nieces for Christmas.  How is your Christmas crafting and shopping coming along?  I am just about half way done right now.   I have also started stocking up on my Christmas food list. I always go overboard buying all sorts of yummy things for Christmas-I always bust the budget in December so I am trying to start early so I can stick to my budget. We always have an abundance of food so I would like to cut back and simplify the entire Holiday season. 
    I had ordered and paid for a beautiful leaded glass door and sidelights back in the summer.  Well, to make a long story short, It finally arrived at the store but it was built wrong.  Have you ever seen an out swinging door in a family home?  Neither have I.  So after great thought (I wasn’t sure about the door-I wanted it but was it needed) I decided to ask for my money back.  I was so frustrated but at the same time relieved that I would be getting the massive amount of money back.  Do we need a new front door?  Heck yes, but do we need that expensive door—No, not really.  I almost feel like it was a sign from God that I was not supposed to get this beautiful, expensive door that I would have been so proud of. Pride goeth and all that.
   So I saved a boat load of money by cancelling the door purchase.  I think I will be checking in with the local Habitat for Humanity Restores for doors.  Buying a door there would be such a blessing to my budget and help build houses for the less fortunate.  That, I think, is a win- win!

  Well, thanks for stopping by!  Hope to chat with you again real soon!
Frugal Blessings y’all,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment