Thursday, February 6, 2014

Inexpensive Broccoli Slaw

  While shopping the other day I found broccoli slaw packages reduced to 59 cents per bag.  My DH just loves my broccoli slaw but it can get quite pricey so I only make it on special occasions and holidays.  My original recipe calls for a head of finely cut broccoli florets in addition to the bag of broccoli slaw mix or broccoli wocolli. So far the cost is about $3.  Then add the cost of bacon bits, raisins and sunflower seeds and the cost goes up to about $6. I don't know about you but $6 is a lot for a side dish of salad!  See, that is why it is only for special occasions!
  Since I found the 2 bags of reduced slaw mix, I picked them both up and decided to try and make a cheaper, but still nutritious slaw that my DH and family would like.  I improvised!  I had a few strips of turkey bacon left from breakfast and broke them up into small pieces after they cooked. I didn't have raisins, but I had cherry tomatoes so I cut a few in half to use.  I was out of fresh onions so I had to use dehydrated and I didn't have fresh broccoli florets so I just omitted them.  For years I purchased the Marzetti's Slaw Dressing, but then I learned how to make it from scratch--so cheap and much better! I make my slaw dressing out of salad dressing, apple cider vinegar, and splenda.  I usually just make it to taste--just use about a cup of salad dressing, about 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and add sugar or splenda to taste.  I use this on regular cole slaw as well.
 I then added my dehydrated onions to the slaw dressing. 
Toss the slaw mix into bowl with your tomatoes and bacon then pour dressing over and stir.   My DH loved it and didn't even complain about what it was missing!  Wow, what savings!  The slaw mix was $1.18 and everything else I had on hand at home, so it was less than $3 for the whole thing!  By using what I had on hand and buying the reduced produce, I saved 50+% on our slaw.  By improvising with recipes you can greatly reduce the cost of feeding your family!  Try it!

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment