Monday, February 17, 2014

Last Week's Frugality

Hello everyone,

  I just wanted to let you know how much  I like writing  this weekly post. It makes me keep track of what  I am doing to save and makes me want to do more so I can share it with you all!  Start writing down all of the things you do in the name of frugality--You will start to accomplish so much more and you can feel good about what you are doing!

   Last week I was able to pack my lunch all five days, but one day I was really hungry and the pb&j sammie just didn't get it so I purchased a foot long coney at the cafeteria. So I did pack all five days but I caved and spent $3.50 for the coney. Must do better next week I guess
.
    I hung 2 loads of towels to dry last week. Also hung some jeans and other clothes to dry. Just put the jeans in the dryer for 10 minutes to soften them up. Still, every item hung saves money!

    We got our tax refund back Friday and I immediately put half of it into a CD.  I know they don't earn much, but it makes me think twice about using the funds because of the penalties and the money is there if we have a major emergency.

    Our local Meijer had small packages of blackberries 2/$1 so I bought 12!  I flash froze half of them and plan on making jam this week with the rest.

     My DH loves pretzels so I picked up 6 bags for him-they were 90 cents per bag--my stock up price!

   I made one meatless meal for my family this past week- crustless quiche and salad.  It was not one of my better meals but we ate it anyway! 

  I planned on making breakfast burritos for us on Sunday, but we only had 3 eggs left.  How do you feed 6 people breakfast with 3 eggs???   French toast of course!  I made do with what I had!

  My second batch of sprouts is just about ready to eat.  I priced a small bunch at the grocery and it was $1.79 for about the same amount I have growing in my sprouter.  I paid less than $10.00 for a huge bag of the alfalfa  sprout seeds and will get 30-40 sprouters  full for about the cost of 5 bunches at the store!  Big time savings!  If you haven't tried growing sprouts, you really should!

  My son got a call about an application he put in for a job working with computers so Mr Jeans and T-shirt needs to come up with clothes for an interview this coming week.  He said his older(worn 2 times) dress pants were too tight so I looked at them and was able to let them out 2 inches. So he doesn't have to buy new ones!  As for a shirt and tie, he will be borrowing them from his brother.  Please say little prayer that he gets this job! Please and thank you!

    I used my Kroger points to fill up my gas tank this week--saved 30 cents per gallon!  Not as good as last time but 30 cents off helps.

   I made my DH molded chocolate hearts for Valentines Day.  I used candy melts that I had left over from other projects.  He loved them!  I got the molds at a yard sale last summer for next to nothing.

    Because a lot of my towels are looking pretty rough, I bought 2 almost like new towels at the Goodwill for 50 cents each and they are big, thick, thirsty towels too!  Not bad for 50 cents each!

   One of the items I posted on E-Bay sold  so I made an extra $54.00 this week! Remember, one of my goals this year is to increase our monthly income by  $200 per month by the end of the year-so this is progress!

 To make a pot of chili go farther, I added 1 1/2 cups of lentils.  No one even noticed and I was able to get 3 meals from one pot of chili.  Chili spaghetti, chili and grilled cheese, and coneys.

  I found about 5.5 lbs of green beans for $2.59 in the reduced bins.  I sat and broke them while watching the Olympics yesterday.  Fresh green beans for dinner tonight! Yummy!

  I have started a kitchen compost bin.  I am putting coffee grounds, egg shells, and veggie peels/trimmings in it and will add it to my raised bed gardens weekly.

  I think that about covers it this week. What have you saved money on lately!

Frugal Blessings,
Lisa

  

6 comments:

  1. so nice to read about your frugal ways! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I hope you stop back soon!
      Lisa

      Delete
  2. What a great list of things that you did this week!! Makes me sad that I didn't do more this week. I put a few things on ebay and didn't get back to it. Super great that you made so much because it is a lot of hard work. I worked all last month to make under $50 on ebay. Super jealous of the blackberry deal. I just made a recipe for sour cream muffins that called for blackberries but I used blueberries because I didn't have any because they are so expensive! You got a great deal!!! When I worked, I packed lots of snacks and kept a bunch in my desk so that I didn't feel like I was starving after having a lunch that didn't hit my craving. Many days I ate through all of my snacks but the good news is that I knew that I got them cheaper and didn't have to spend any money out of pocket on something at the office but $3.50 is a pretty low total then what it could have been if you didn't bring a lunch at all. Great week!!! Crossing my fingers for your son's interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison,
      I'll have to take some snacks to keep at work. You are right-it is much cheaper! Start writing down what you do accomplish. It makes frugality so much more intentional and keeps it at the forefront of your mind!
      Thanks for the good thoughts on my DS;s interview! I enjoyed your comments so please stop back again!
      Blessings,
      Lisa

      Delete
  3. This all sounds good - there are so many little ways to cut costs....though they aren't much alone, they sure add up....we do many of these also and it has become a way of life anymore....although I do need to think up some new ideas again also. Thank you for sharing this post. :) Gentle Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many little things that really do add up to great savings! Thank you stopping by and commenting--I love hearing from my bloggy friends!
    Hope you stop back again!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete