Monday, February 24, 2014

Last Week's Frugality


Hello All,
  Last week I shared how I got a great deal on blackberries, well this week I used them to make  blackberry jam!  I was able to get 5 half pint jars and one small quarter pint jar of yummy blackberry jelly out of half of my berry purchase.  I flash froze the rest and then bagged them for use later on

this year.  I don’t know if you have purchased blackberry jam but it is pricey! So for $6 I got 6 small jars of jam, and 4 bags of fruit way cheaper than 2 jars of the jam! 
  I bought a mop bucket to keep in the shower to catch the water while it is running and heating up.  I can use this to flush the toilet once or twice and it is an easy way to save some of the wasted water before a shower.
   I am happy to say I jumped back on the band wagon of packing my lunch all week!  Yeah Me!  It is becoming a habit now and it is one I am enjoying.  Leftovers ROCK!  Most of the time, my leftovers are  way better than the cafeteria food —I work in a hospital and you know about hospital food! LOL!!
  I purchased a book this week!  I know, you’re thinking… how is that frugal, right? But it is a great book- The Complete Tightwad Gazette.  I have been in a rut lately and trying to come up with new ways to save and while I read each of the 3 book set back in the day, I had forgotten more than I remembered! So I found a great deal on amazon and ordered a gently used edition!  If nothing else it has been very inspirational for me.  I love new/old frugal ideas!
  The green beans I found last week on clearance were so stinking good.  We enjoyed them with smoked sausage and potatoes one night and then I had it for lunch 2 days and then just the remaining beans as a  side dish with another meal. They were delish!
  I have been diligently saving coffee grounds, egg shells, and veggie scraps for my garden.  This is an amazing boost for my garden and is totally free. 
  I have started signing up for free samples again.  I was doing this for a while and somehow just stopped.  If you want to do more of this, go to All You.com and sign up for the free sample newsletter. http://www.allyou.com/coupons-deals/daily-free-samples You will be emailed about all new free samples daily!  Anyone know of any more free sample web sites?
  I have been timing my showers.  No more than 5 minutes.  I am trying to get my kids to do the same but as they are grown, they are a hard sell.  But still, I try!
  I hung my towels up to dry again this week.  2 loads hung saves almost 2 hours drying time!
   My family is now calling me the light Nazi-they really aren't but that is how I think they think of me now!  I have been on “light patrol” as my kids used to call it!  I make it a point to turn off lights as I leave a room and have been bugging the family to do this also!The funniest thing about it is that I used to get so mad at my Dad for yelling about lights left on!  Now I am the one making my kids mad!  What goes around come around I guess!
  Well, that's about it for me-what have you been doing to save money?
Frugal Blessings,
Lisa
  This post is shared at:   Clever Chics BlogHop
This Post was featured on Fabulously Frugal Thursdays!

 

9 comments:

  1. I love The Complete Tightwad Gazette! It's great to have on hand & read at least once a year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often turn to the Tightwad Gazette when I feel like I need jump-started again. You made me laugh at the lights in your house since my family pretty much calls me the same thing. My big thing is we have a 2 light rule in my house. Only two lights can be on at any one time. So if we are in the livingroon and the light is on in the kitchen, whoever is in the kitchen must move to the livingroom so some one can go to the bathroom. I know its a little extreme but it is making my family notice the electric we are using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way to make your family more aware of electric usage! Glad I am not the only Light Nazi out there!'
      Lisa

      Delete
  3. I took the tightwad gazette out of the library and read it. It was a really long read to finish before getting back to the library before the due date. Glad you got a great deal on it. I think that it was motivating to do things as well as giving good ideas. I hope that you enjoy it. I am so jealous of the jelly!!! I really want to start canning and making my own jelly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I taught myself to can--started out with jelly and never looked back! I love making my own convenience foods like home canned beef stew or swiss steak! Thanks for commenting!
      Lisa

      Delete
  4. Hi there! One of the things we do to save money is not buy paper towels at all. Instead, I've cut up rags and old dish towels into absorbent squares and we use and reuse them! They don't add hardly any extra bulk to a load of laundry and they're better for our wallet and the environment! Good luck on the frugal journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I need to make my own jam. I love the low sugar (more fruit) varieties.
    I'm visiting from Wonderful Wednesday Link Party. I would be so honored if you would share this at Brag About It Link Party on VMG206.

    http://www.vmg206.com/2014/02/brag-about-it-link-party-no-43-vmg206.html

    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WOULD LOVE TO INVENT A NICKLE SLOT FOR A LIGHT SWITCH! FOR A NICKLE? TURN ON THE LIGHT FOR 10 MINUTES!! IF YOU TURN LIGHT OFF WITHIN 2 MINUTES YOU GET THE NICKLE BACK

    ReplyDelete