Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Last Week's Frugal Accomplishments

     Last week I got a lot more done than I have in the past several months!  Doing the happy dance!! So sorry for that visual!  Lol!   But anywho, I did get quite  bit accomplished!  I packed my lunch 3 times last week.  This week I promise I am going to pack every day!  I pinky swear!
     I cooked dinner every night!  No restaurant food just good ole home cooking!   I have been cooking from the pantry and freezer and trying to get room for cheap meat--turkey and ham! Our budget is loving the freezer and pantry cooking!  Yippee!
     I found several tops at the goodwill for my niece for Christmas-both still with tags on them--brand new!
Freezer Cooking!
                                        Meatballs and Meat loaves baking in my dirty oven!
                                                               Meatballs cooling.
                        Sausage links draining on coffee filters.  I was out of paper towels. Don't judge me!!
Porcupine meatballs cooling!
                                   
Muffins disappearing and cooling!
 
  Sunday I did quite a bit of freezer cooking.  I made 3 batches of meatballs-2 regular meatballs and one batch of porcupine meatballs!  I made 2 meatloaves and froze them. I made a double batch of apple muffins.  We ate some and the rest are for the freezer.  Since my DH cannot cook, I went ahead and cooked some sausage links and patties to keep in the fridge for the week.  He can have toast and sausage for his breakfast.  I made several small loaves of apple bread and one large loaf of orange cranberry bread.  These will be frozen for future breakfasts.  Boy oh boy, did my  house smell yummy today!
  Using my rice cooker, I was able to batch up 2 meals--2 chicken and rice meals and one batch of plain rice for the freezer.  For the chicken and rice meal, I cook the rice as per the rice cooker instructions just adding frozen peas, and dried veggies.  I sub chicken stock for the water.  Add your cooked chicken after the rice is cooked. I let it cool and then pack it in a quart freezer baggie.  Pull out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator the day you want to have it for dinner.  Just put in a  bowl and heat in the microwave and serve with a salad.  Great easy meal.
   I found 2 cans of evaporated milk in a reduced bin at Kroger.  Dents were not on the seams so it will be fine to use.  Saving this for fudge for Christmas! 
  Was able to order my DS#2's Gifts for Christmas second hand. I cannot tell you what it is because he sometimes reads my blog!  But I think he will love it! And I saved at least 50% by finding it on ebay! 
  I just have 2 more gift cards to buy for Christmas and I am DONE-put a fork in me!   I met my goal!!  Loving not having to Christmas shop in December!  I am hoping for a stress free holiday season and I am well on my way to achieving this!
   What have you accomplished this week?
Frugal Blessings,
Lisa

  

4 comments:

  1. My accomplishment this week was getting the garden all mulched, this is in preparation for our summer garden. I would love to know more about the porcupine meatballs, thanks for sharing again on Tuesdays With a Twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Joyce! For the meatballs just use your favorite meatball/meatloaf recipe and add a cup of cooked rice to raw mixture and ball up and cook. I serve the meatballs on a bed of rice with spaghetti sauce overtop. Oh and lots of cheese as well!

      Delete
  2. Good for you. I like to do as many frugal things each day as I can, it just becomes second nature after awhile. But I am NOT through with my Christmas shopping! #jealous Thanks for sharing this post. (visiting from Homemade Mondays hop)

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Wolfe City, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you stopped by to visit and comment! I just love comments from my readers! Frugality does become a way of life!
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete