Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Chores

   Today we planned on cutting a bunch of firewood for the winter--we heat mainly with wood. We thought we would be able to cut 2-3 truckloads.   Since Tom is no longer able to use the chainsaw, my brother Ryan cuts and we haul.  Well, things didn't go exactly as planned!  My dd#1and her hubby bowed out of helping, then dd#2 decided to go out of town Saturday night.  To add insult to injury, ds#2 bent the blade on our riding mower so we were not able to use it or the trailer to haul the wood. That left me and my two sons to haul and carry.  Now remember, I sit at my full time job so I am out of shape!  My brother was an hour late, then tried to start his chainsaw--it kept quitting everytime the blade came near the wood.  He was so mad--then he cut his hand. Well after a ton of Bleeping words he calmed down and we decided to rent a chainsaw. We had to carry the logs Ryan cut about 50 feet to get them into the truck. It felt like we should have had a couple truckfuls, but the first area yielded only 1/2 a load. We moved to another area and had to carry the logs about 50 feet again. Oh....my aching back.  Did I tell you I am out of shape?  I am getting far too old for this stuff!!
   We cut and moved only about a pickup truckload and a half.  Thats all.  We worked so hard for that small amount of wood---very hard. Unfortunately, we only have enough for about 2 months. Guess we will be buying some firewood soon!
  After we finished up with the wood, my sons installed our new dishwasher.  The old one was only 2 1/2 years old but the computer panel went out--MAJOR Emergency in my house! So this evening as I sit here, I realize today, although very tough, was quite a productive day.  I am proud of my sons for all of their hard work and very thankful to my brother Ryan for all of his help.
  Of course I had several loads of laundry to do, fold, and put up. Have to get my work clothes ready. Then, I had to make supper.  No rest for the weary! ;)
  How was your weekend?
Blessings,
Lisa

2 comments:

  1. We go through about 3-4 cords here with all three stoves. That can be very frustrating. One time when we cut wood we took all three chain saws. We wanted a specific tree as we were looking at it for a flag pole. All three chains quit working before we even cut anything. We got out a little handsaw and got our one tree we were wanting (only 4-5 inches in diameter).

    I hope that you aren't too sore today. Have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. We heat our home a majority of the time with wood.
    Last year we went through 4 cords. I hoping this year will be different. We've always for the most part gone and cut wood---this year, that wasn't the case. The Husband had a heart attack in May so we bought 2 cords already--and may need to buy more. We'll see.
    It's not cheap, I tell ya...but it's done.
    I came over here from the Barn hop...
    have enjoyed reading some of your past posts...
    ...have a good week, Pat

    ReplyDelete