Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homemade Mrs. Dash Type Herbal Salt Substitute


Many people are suffering from high blood pressure and are trying to reduce their sodium intake--myself included.  I love salt.  I mean I really love salt to the point that if the food isn't salted it isn't worth eating.  Did I tell you I LOVE salt. Did I also tell you I have high blood pressure? Really high blood pressure so I am trying to cut back on my salt intake but it is so hard.  I am trying to season my food with herbs and spices to give it more flavor so I discovered this recipe for a homemade herbal salt substitute--no, lets call it a homemade flavor enhancer! Yes, I like that much better--won't have to say the "S" word. So, here is the recipe:

Herbal Flavor Enhancer
  • 1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp dried savory
  • 1 tsp ground mace
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp dried sage
  • 1 tsp dried marjoram
  • 1 tsp ground dried grated lemon peel
  • 1 tsp paprika
Just mix the above and store in a mason jar or reused spice shaker.
I know this won't be the same as using the "s" word but maybe we'll learn to appreciate the real flavors of  food and lower our blood pressure at the same time!

Blessings,
Lisa 

7 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I will be trying this. Thanks for posting.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea ! Hubby is on a salt restricted diet and we use Mrs. Dash alot. I'll be making my own now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Cheryl. This IS a great idea and the recipe sounds so good. Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would have it been better if we can have a supply of some of these herbs such as basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, marjoram, and the like from our very own backyard? It’s reasonably practical to go organic these days, especially the ingredients that we put in our meals, as what Lisa’s trying to promote in this blog. It’s a great alternative as well, in terms of sustaining a healthy lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I love to use Mrs. Dash in my meatloaf recipe. Thank you for sharing this with us at the HomeAcre Hop! We'd love to have you back again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete