Sunday, March 16, 2014

Last Week's Frugality

   Last week was a pretty good week budget wise.    I was able to change Tom's Doctor to a practice that will accept his Medicare as a secondary. His old Drs. practice chose not to accept Medicare patients which meant we had to pay the copays each visit when Medicare would have covered it.  So now his Dr. and therapist accept Medicare as a secondary.  I figure this will save at least $80-$120 per month.  Not a savings over last year but not an increase either.  What we have to do to keep the budget balanced.  SMH!

  I was able to pick up 8 packages of strawberries for $8.00.  I flash froze half  to use for smoothies and used the other four for jam!  I am hoping they go on sale again at this price.  I would like to make some for gifts to have on hand.
 
 
 
I was also able to pick up 3 large cabbage heads for $.19 per pound.  I am going to chop one up for soup then freeze and use the rest for cole slaw.
 
I packed my lunch 4 out of 5 days.  I forgot to take my leftovers one morning-I had it packed and waiting in the fridge.  I was so aggravated at myself!
 
I hung up a load of towels to dry this week.  I also hung several of my work tops to dry as well.
Every little bit adds up!
 
  Meijer had their packages of organic broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots 40% off so I picked up 3 packages.  We have been roasting all kinds of vegetables in the oven.  Just toss veggies with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and roast.  Oh my goodness , they are wonderful!  Try this with brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes.  It is yummy!
 
  Meijer also had packages of Italian sausages reduced. I picked up several for the freezer.
  
  I found 2 bags of brand new cabinet pulls at the Goodwill.  Each bag has about 30 pulls and screws!
They are brand new and I got 60 pulls for............$3.00 whole dollars!  Score!!  We put in cabinets from Habitat for Humanity in our new to us kitchen. The pulls are badly worn so this is a great thing!  I cannot wait to get them installed!
 
  I have been planning on making gifts for Christmas this year and jewelry was at the top of the list. So while searching through a box of junky little things at the St. Vincent de Paul, I found 2 strands of pink crystal beads that will be beautiful for making earrings and bracelets.  They originally cost $5.99 each but I got them both for $1.00!  Score again! 
 
  Still using the shower bucket! Again, every little bit helps! 
 
  I signed up for more free samples this week.  Hopefully they will be sent soon!  I love getting freebies in the mail!
 
So, I guess that is about it for me.  What have you been doing to save money this week?
 
Frugal Blessings,
Lisa
 
 
 
 
 
  
  
 
  

10 comments:

  1. It's been in the 70's here in Reno this week, I have finally gotten to hang my clothes out on the portable clothesline. I do love this dry climate for that, as clothes dry so quickly. As I only use cold water for laundry, I feel I save that way also!
    We just found out that we have a Habitat for Humanity thrift store, so we went and I was able to get a magnifying light on a long arm for $5. What a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish our weather was half that nice! We are in the high twenties here! I just love the Habitat for Humanity Restores! We saved thousands on our kitchen cabinets!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting Judy!
      Lisa

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have had a very productive week, savings wise! That is fantastic. I really need to begin hanging my families clothes out to dry when the snow decides to stop coming. I actually utilized K-Mart's double coupons today and saved about thirty dollars! Love those deals!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lisa, Thank you for your encouraging posts! I never realized how much water we waste until I started paying attention. So I put a large pitcher beside my kitchen sink and when I am waiting for my water to heat up to wash my hands or to wash dishes, I let it run in the pitcher and use that for my dogs water or when I need water in something I'm cooking. Hopefully I can start hanging my clothes on the line soon, but I have been hanging a few things around in the house. I have discovered that my local grocery store marks down their bags of broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mix when they are about to reach their sell by date so I have been stopping by every day to check. One day last week I got 6 bags and brought them home and put them in the freezer. I will have to try roasting them. That sounds yummy. I also get most of my meat the same way and freeze it. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and commenting! Gotta love the reduced sections at the grocery! Stop back again! I love hearing from my readers!
      Lisa

      Delete
  4. Love your list, it sometimes helps with accountability to see it all in print. You've done a great job! Our frugal accomplishments for the week: Line-dried all laundry, although we had to plan around the weather it's something we do 12 months out of the year. (We have a drier but I LOVE line-dried clothes.) Cooked all meals from scratch - I recently wrote about how I'm able to accomplish this using the 'cook-once, eat-twice' method of cooking. Planted heirloom seeds in my 'indoor greenhouse' - so much cheaper than buying seedlings each year. Dehydrated onions when I had so many given to me that I'd never use them before they all go bad. Thanks for sharing this post (Visiting from Homemade Mondays Hop)

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Wolfe City, Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thank you for stopping by and commenting! You are doing a great job as well! I need to get my seeds started soon as well. I just hope I grow enough onions to have enough to dehydrate! Take care and have a great day!
      Lisa

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa your strawberry jam looks delish. Not too much to report this week. Doing all the usual things: Using cold water for washing clothes, washing and reusing Ziplocks and bags, trying to keep the heat set low and hoping for Spring. On Saturday did some major cleaning of garage/barns and collecting some scrap to haul off to sell. That will bring in a few extra dollars. Also cont to save all my $5.00 bills toward Emergency Fund. Opening and closing all drapes to help keep heat in at night and let light/warmth in during the day. Stretching out meat for meals and trying to get 2-3 meals from what usually would be a regular portion of meat. Saving all vegetable scraps for either freezer bag for stock or for compost. Still gathering plenty of eggs. Working on paying extra on credit card bills. Been working in the garden beds when I can and managed to plant some peas, onions and lettuce. I did experiment with a bucket in the shower, managed to save 2 gallons of water, however right now I really have no place to use it until the weather warms up and I can use it on the gardens. Great to see some other comments on the site too. Always something new to learn from others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We use propane for heat and hot water so because of it's expense, I use cold water to wash with also. Sometimes I feel like the water saving shower bucket is silly, but it helps me become more aware of how much just goes down the drain that we have to pay for. I have been trying to incorporate more meatless meals but my DH doesn't appreciate them too much! So stretching the meat is a better idea! Take care and thanks again for visiting and commenting!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Lisa, I would never be able to get my husband to eat many totally meatless meals. He is a meat and potato kind of guy. He is also not too keen on leftovers so I really have to turn them into a totally different meal... takes some creativity to keep him happy ; )

    ReplyDelete