Monday, September 19, 2011

Busy Weekend


My oh my, I accomplished so much this past weekend.  I met one of my goals of getting my pot-pourri made for the craft bazaars. As some of you may know, I am starting up a business--Herb and Botanicals--and pot-pourri is one of my items I make to sell. Christmas tree, Pumpkin Pie, Gingerbread, and Gardenia are 4 scents I love to make. All of my pot-pourri looks as nice as they smell--I cut shapes out of spiced dough and  paint some to put in my pot-pourri.

  I also made 2 batches of soap. One full batch was almond scented and heavenly! The second batch I split up into one mold of plain soap and to the remaining soap I added Rosemary Mint scent and added green color to swirl.  So pretty and fragrant!  Still need to cut the second batch. I keep the small end pieces for family use and I will be selling the rest. I did melt and pour a block of glycerin soap that I had forgotten about having.  Many years ago, I was interested in soap making  and bought the kit to make with my children--never got around to it! So I have  a bunch of Pretty seashell shaped soaps to sell.

  I also made up 3 batches of Shower Spa Bag mix.  I was able to bag one batch, but still need to get the other batches bagged tonight.  The spa bags are so wonderful in the shower--leave your skin feeling so soft.  You just use the bags like you would a soap bar.

 I was able to wrap several soap baskets to sell. I put some soaps in a dish with shred add a candle or a loofah sponge,  wrap in cellophane, and add a bow and tag.  Very nice little gifts--perfect for a shower  or Christmas gifts.

    I'll be posting my products on Etsy as soon as I find my Camera--it's MIA.  Will post the link then if anyone is interested.  I hope I have enough inventory to sell at the bazaars. My goal is to sell $300  of my products this year. Not sure if I'll make it but I am going to try!  If anyone has any hints or helps about selling at Craft shows or Etsy, I would love to hear from you--I really need to make a go of this because Tom's meds are so expensive and everything gets more expensive each day.  Did I say I need to make a go of this business? I really need to!

 Well, I hope everyone has a great day! What did you accomplish this weekend?

Blessings,
Lisa

7 comments:

  1. You have been busy. I want to make more soap, but just don't have the time until canning is done.

    Have a great day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting the hang of soap making now--I can prep, set up molds, and make and pour the batch in less than an hour. Love making soap! I am going to try to pressure can some pinto and white beans to have cooked beans on hand. I'm looking for a buschel of apples to make apple butter--my Mom's recipe is amazing--she won first place at our county fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you make just the melt and pour soaps? We are going to have our butcher save the fat from our pig in November so that I can render the lard down to use in soap.

    My kids will go through spurts in eating apple butter. Josh seemed to eat a lot of it, but with him back in Kentucky, we don't go through it as much.

    Have a great day. I hope that you can get rid of stuff. I should do that as well. I can have my daughter take stuff to the thrift store when she goes to classes.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make cold process soap. I use a recipe I got from the Homestead Blessings DVD on soap making. It is very easy and I really like it. It would be so much cheaper having lard to render instead of buying the shortening. Do you have a favorite recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been fooling around with a recipe. At first I just used cooking grease that had been cleaned. Then I asked the butcher to save the fat from the steer. Now I have been experimenting with adding some coconut oil, olive oil, and soybean oil.

    Not sure yet what we like the most. I have noticed that with homemade soap, there is less acne on my girls faces. My husband also doesn't get the dry winter itch patches on his arms that he use to get.

    I really learned a lot from the Homestead Blessings DVD in soap making. I like how they add the fat right into the lye water. I did not like heating up the fat and then getting the temperatures close in range.

    Have a wonderful day. I am always enjoying learning new things from others and I hope others learn from me.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very productive week. Some day I will have to try soap making.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie,
    I highly recomend the homestead blessings soapmaking dvd. The only problem I have with it is that they do not stress using saftey glasses and gloves--otherwise it is a wonderful introduction to soapmaking!
    Hope you find the time to try it!
    Thanks for your comments--hope to hear from you soon!
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete