Monday, January 27, 2014

Last Week's Frugality


    This week has been so cold and I really enjoy having a warm drink at work, unfortunately they start out at $1.25 per cup. So I brought my own pkts of Sugar Free Warm Apple Cider mix and just got hot water from the cafeteria. I think there are at least 6pkgs in each box and you can get them at the Dollar Tree.  So I saved a bunch there!
  I packed my lunch four times last week.  I just cannot seem to make it 100% of the time each week.  I have to do better!!

    I made garlic cheddar biscuits from scratch and served them with chicken noodle soup for one night’s supper.  Everyone raved about them!  I posted the recipe last week!

  I made up a batch of homemade Laundry Detergent. I have the recipe memorized now so it only takes about 5 minutes to make up a small batch.  I find I prefer to make up smaller batches instead of the large ones. I did use up the last of my washing soda so that is on my need to buy list.  I used some lavender essential oil to scent the detergent. Smells so good, works well, and is so inexpensive!
  We have been keeping the thermostat down at 65 degrees this past week but my Mother has been with us the last few days and we had to increase the temp to 68. She gets cold easily.
    Tom and I didn’t go out for our 30th anniversary—we stayed home and had dinner with the kids. We enjoyed getting to sit and talk with them.  They are so busy, we sometimes don’t see them for days at a time so it was nice sitting down to dinner with them.

  I made a pot of white bean soup using up the ham bone from dinner Saturday. Perfect meal for this frigid weather!

  I hung up jeans to dry in the laundry room then just tossed them in the dryer for 5 minutes to get some of the stiffness out of them. 5 minutes sure beats 50!  I hope to line dry more each week but I have one of the dryer vent heat attachments that puts the exhausted heat back into the house so I don’t worry as much about using my dryer-especially in this weather.
  We have still been eating meat from the freezer so that is helping my grocery budget out tremendously. 
  Well, that is all I can think of.  What have you saved money on this week?

Frugal Blessings,

Lisa

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment